We wanted to take a moment to share some recent discussions surrounding a potential change to our curriculum at Butler Junior High requested by the Board of Education. For those of you that are not familiar, the BOE is carefully reviewing some concerns about the current Fine Arts Program at Butler. In response to the BOE’S request, district administration has recently presented some potential scheduling options that would allow the enhanced Fine Arts Initiative our Board of Education is heading, to fit in the students’ daily schedule.
• Increased Fine Arts offerings
• Embracing the whole-child approach
• Enhancing Art and Music appreciation for all students
• Enriching Core curriculum through cross curriculum opportunities
• Potential decrease of full-time status for some teachers
• Shortened lunch period
• Removal and/or shortening of study hall
• Removal of morning announcements, removal of passing periods, removal of recess
• Removal of most current elective offerings
• Opposite of current teacher philosophy of supporting student choice
We have attached the two options on the table that are being discussed. We are hopeful that the BOE and district administration will support a schedule that will allow for an enhanced fine arts program, but not overwhelm our students with a ‘rushed’ schedule. The success of this upcoming curriculum change is dependent on collaborative participation by the BOE, the District, Teachers and Parents.
Please share your thoughts or follow the comments in our closed PTO Facebook group at Butler53PTO. Please attend the next BOE on Monday, April 8th at 6:30 p.m. at Butler Junior High.
Please email us with your concerns.
Board of Education D53: Boardofed@butler53.com
Education Committee: Education@butler53.com
Butler53 PTO Executive Board